Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I Start Blume Imaging

After talking to large dental companies such as Kodak, Rinn, and DentX, and basically getting a lot of interest, then getting "shined on" by them, I decided that I would start my own company. The "NIH" (not invented here) rule is an absolute. Selling the developer myself would be the only way to really get the processor going in the marketplace. I had honed my skills as an engineer to such a degree that I was ready to go on my own. I became proficient in electronics, programming, plastic design, sheet metal design, CAD, etc. by working on the models that I had put together, and learning from Scott Steel. Also, Scott ran out of time to work on the processor as his company had projects from large companies to complete. He gave me a few tips on how to operate a CAD program. I designed and had constructed all of the parts for my "molded model", the one pictured here. I rented a booth for $2,200 at the California Dental Convention in 1995. I went with two completely built processors. My entire inventory was at the show, sitting on two pedestals. Naturally my booth was next to several huge companies. For some reason, I felt tiny and embarrassed. But, my developer wowed the people who ventured in to take a look. My total first convention sales: one unit for $4000 to a dentist in Arizona. In the next two years I sold 25 processors. The processors that I have installed have functioned like Sherman tanks; far better than the roller processors put out by multi-million dollar companies. To date they have processed several million films. If you are interested in part two of the story, please email me and I will forward.

No comments: